Saturday, October 31, 2009

Harris Teeter

This may seem silly, but I feel the need to share anyway. Unless I take my grandmother to Wal-Mart to get her groceries, I choose Kroger on Hwy 100 as my grocery store. However, Kroger apparently does not carry the andioulle sausage I use when making jambalaya. I tried Krogers on Hwy 100 and Hwy 70 with no luck. Harris Teeter usually carries it, so I made a third attempt to purchase this one ingredient I still needed.

Thrilled to see the andioulle stocked at Harris Teeter, I grabbed it as a manager happened to be walking by. He very nicely asked if I need help finding anything and I took that opportunity to mention my excitement that they carried this and that Kroger does not. His response, "Why would you go to Kroger anyway?" I can't blame him for asking the question, it's a reasonable question when trying to get someone's business. My response was "Because you guys are so much more expensive". Now, let me point out again that this was a manager. I don't think he was expecting such a candid answer because all he could do was shake his head and walk off.

Ok, I am in sales and have been for years. I would never consider myself to be a cut-throat salesperson, but I'm darn good at what I do. And my product costs more than many similar products down the road, and even next door! I am amazed by a couple parts of this story. 1. This person is a manager. 2. Why ask a question when you are not prepared to hear the answer of give a proper response. 3. Shaking your head and walking off, really? That was the best response he could muster up.

Again, I know this is silly and I will most likely delete this post out of embarrassment, but I feel the need to share. I apologize if I have offended any loyal Harris Teeter customers.

No comments:

Post a Comment